Thursday 20 June 2013

Fresh Daion's For Sale in Oz - 20th June 2103

It's been a bit quiet on the Daion front since my last post, but a couple have popped up for sale today.

Firstly we have a traditional 50's looking "Strat" style Daion Performer, with a three colour sunburst finish, maple neck, twin round string trees, 8-screw pickguard, vintage style bridge saddles, and what looks to be slightly aged yellow'ish looking pickup covers and control knobs. This one is located in Perth.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/daion-jap-strat

The seller has described it as follows:

1980s daion performers series strat- a well built guitar from the 80s jap era. In great condition!






This next one is quite interesting. When I first caught a glimpse of it I thought it was a Daion Headhunter, which is the only semi-hollow body "Gibson 335" style Daion I've seen so far. But this one doesn't feature the reverse cutout shape on the body. If anyone has any info on what it is shoot me a message I'd love to know more. This one is located in Adelaide.

In any case the seller has provided a pretty thorough description which is under the link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/Daion-electric-guitar-335-copy-semi-hollow-body

Up for auction is a Daion semi-hollow body ES-335 copy with a Gator lockable hard case.

Daion guitars were made in Japan in the 70s and 80s and then moved production to Korea in the mid-80s. This is not a Japanese Daion as far as I can tell. There are no markings or a serial number on this guitar but my best guess is that it is a late eighties Daion made in Korea in either the Samick or Cort factories - the same factories that made the Korean Epiphones, Washburn 335s and many others guitars that are starting to become desirable due to the high build quality. The only markings that I can find that would perhaps back this up is the pickup selector switch that is a DECO with 8908 printed on it which is generally considered to be the year and month the switch was manufactured - ie August 1989. This is by no means definitive and I don't want to be one of those eBay sellers that claims that their guitar is something that it is not - I just want to be upfront about it.

I have had the guitar for about 6 years now and I have thoroughly enjoyed owning it. There is some fret wear as you would expect from a 25 year old guitar and a few dings and scratches that I have tried to photograph in the pics. All electrics are original as far as I can tell and the back of the neck has been very lightly sanded to make it a little less grippy. It is missing the pick-guard, has been like that since I have had it and I never bothered replacing it because I like the look of it without one.

The Gator case is in fantastic condition and will protect the guitar for many years to come.











Note: This guitar sold:
Ended: 26 Jun, 2013 21:35:17 AEST
Winning bid: AU $355.0021 bids ]



This one was listed a week or so ago, but has been re-listed due to a non-paying bidder. So if you want a cool "metal style" Daion, with a very reasonable $100 starting bid, this one could be for you! It's located in Melbourne.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Daion-Performer-Guitar

Daion Performer Guitar
Guitar works but needs new strings, Guitar is currently strung up for left hand player
Pickup only:




2 comments:

  1. Hi. I have a Daion acoustic guitar in blondewood. I have had it since 1981 and it is in excellent condition. Has two nicks in the neck from a capo. I was wondering what the value of this was? It was made in Japan and sticker is still on it. (rarely played). The neck is straight and was checked out by a local dealer. He said he couldn't value it though. Thankyou in advance. BTW I am looking at selling it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm really no expert on the value of the acoustic models, but if you head over to the Daion Facebook page there are some very helpful and knowledgeable people there who may be able to help.

    https://www.facebook.com/daionguitars

    Cheers
    Darren

    ReplyDelete

Comment on this post.